To work for the AFP as a Police Officer or Protective Service Officer, you must:
- Hold Australian Citizenship (evidence must be provided when applying)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a valid driver's licence (provisional and automatic drivers licences are accepted)
- Provide a traffic history statement (available from the local Motor Registry) for each state or territory where a driver's licence has been held. This statement must be no older than three months.
- Attained a minimum of a Year 10 Certificate with a Certificate IV or Diploma level qualification or Trade Certificate. University level qualifications are also welcomed.
The AFP strongly encourages that in preparation of submitting an application, you commence obtaining relevant documentation including:
- Proof of Australian Citizenship
- Evidence of meeting minimum education requirements
- Additional proof of gender (if required)
- Traffic history (covering the last 10 year period) from all states and territories where you have held a drivers licence.
NOTE: traffic history must have been obtained within the last 3 months.